Thursday, January 21, 2010

on the menu: broiled paper?

assignment 1: altering the surface of paper

in that attempt, this morning I tried to "broil" (literally in the oven!)
a sheet of Rives BFK paper. I kept watch over it, with a
pitcher of water at hand, just in case. It didn't look like anything was
happening, and I flipped it over and over, hoping it wouldn't burst
into flames (although secretly hoping that something really exciting
would happen). As you can see, it did change the color....but
needed a little char on the edges.
I then was excited to continue altering surfaces, and sewed (with and
without thread), punched (there were a few hanging chads that I left
for a while, then changed my mind....don't we wish someone in
Florida could have just "changed their minds?"), and shredded.
I love the shredded look, only wish I could have done it without
having to fold the sheet....it left a slight crease. I also like the
scraped piece....will do some more of that with other tools. (I used
a piece of rusted metal to scrape, and also to do the rubbing.)
I can begin to see some small folded booklets, using these sheets as
the cover.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorites are the sewn and shredded pages. Here are two messy ideas...dirty fingerprints and ink blots.