Sunday, December 19, 2010

window shopping

-new york city-
went into the city today, i had forgotten how confused i could get about north-south/east -west.  at times i would stand on the street corner looking up at the tall, tall buildings, and feel like i was spinning around and around.  once i got my bearings, my mission was to  head north on 5th avenue and look at the windows, decorated for the holidays.

first was SAKS, where there was a queue wrapped around the corner.  their topic was bubbles....the boy in the bubble, burst the bubble, and others i didn't figure out.  the blue elephant was my favorite with all of the gears (with bubbles and maybe a fish or two) and gadgets .




down  up the street i stopped at tiffany's where there are only 2 windows, small at that. 
 books and text with a "will you marry me?" fairy tale.
all in the glow of tiffany blue.

 and the princess said yes.



next was bergdorf goodman.
i liked these windows a lot.  it was a "wish you were here" theme, beautifully done with alternating tiny close views and then a large feature window.
remeniscent of joseph cornell.




and finally Barney's.  always a destination to see what simon doonan would come up with.
this year:  "foodies",  especially interesting to me because of my recent addiction to the food channel.  
notice the women are all wrapped up in their snuggies,
and mario, surrounded by his orange crocs.
a nod to kitsch.





there were, of course, many more windows that i passed.  (martha looks as if she may take the leap)
 i must keep passing open windows.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Jewell said...

Oh, what a fun post! I can't keep up with where you are! Remember what a good time we had in NYC, staying a the Shelborne or somesuch place? Loved looking at these photos. It is POURING in SF and more to come. I am praying (sorry, I've looking at Facebook friends from Kentucky) that it will rain itself out before matt arrives Wednesday night.

JodieMo said...

Wow! I love all the pictures! I totally envy all of your travel! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hope your NY trip was a fun one. I love the Tiffany's windows.